Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday's Memories: Lacock Abbey

Sunday was Apple Day at Lacock Abbey.  I'm not sure what the origins of the day are, but I assumed it had something to do with the apple harvest.  The following Sunday when we were back in London I noticed there was an Apple Day celebration going on there, too.  At Lacock Abbey this included games for kids and families, music, apple scones, apple pies, apple butter, apple cider, and anything else yummy with apples in it.  We watched an exciting obstacle course race.

 I think the middle boy is the only one following the rules.
I guess it is much easier if you just hold the apple.

After our time in Oxford and all the beautiful, different trees we saw I started paying more attention to the trees around us. I took pictures for my mom, who loves a good tree picture.

 

The Abbey was really beautiful with an interesting history.  It had been an abbey (obviously), a private residence, and like the Professor's house in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, had housed children and other evacuees during the war.  Of most recent interest, it was used as a location in the first two Harry Potter movies.  Professor Snape's dungeon classroom was filmed here, as well as scenes in Professor McGonagall's office.



I like tower rooms.


 Recognize Hogwarts?

If I had time I would link up shots from the movie...but I don't.  So you'll just have to look for it next time you're watching.  I think they shot the scenes here for the forbidden third floor in the first movie, as well as the scenes with the Mirror of Erised.  The 700-year-old cloisters were a good backdrop for an ancient castle.


Snape's classroom was the most recognizable. 



I didn't take too many pictures of the rest of the Abbey.  I guess I was just enjoying the rooms and forgot my camera for a little while.  I did really like the great stone kitchen and the lovely old oven.

I loved this for its absurdly long name for a grocery list.
It's also fun to look at the items needed in a 1940s household.

 a little dress-up in period clothes
I could get used to that.

 the South Gallery
I played the piano a bit in this room.

 the famous window from the first photographic negative

And that was Lacock.  We trooped back to the car park and headed to Bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment